Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My name is Wil, and I'm a geek.

Yeah, just in case you hadn't figured it out.

What brings that up this time is the source of a personal revelation.  Yesterday I was watching 'Yu Gi Oh the Abridged Series' and had an interesting little epiphany about myself.
That's right.  Not even a real Anime series, an online parody series about an Anime about a people saving the world by playing a children's card game.  Hence the title of today's post.  I've mentioned watching this previously, but got back into it as the boy and I slowly crawl through Yu Gi Oh on Hulu.  It actually makes good background noise at work, since I don't really have to concentrate it and it keeps the 'Oooooh Shiny' part of my brain occupied so the rest of my mind can get some damn work done.  Luckily I have an office set apart from most of the rest of my department so I don't have to worry too much about some of the things that get said offending people, as well as having co-workers who aren't easy to offend.

It's going to be a little hard for you to follow things from this point on if you don't have a least a basic knowledge of the show.  If you don't and really care, skip to the end and follow the link to the Abridged Series I'll have there.  This is text, it'll still be there when you get back. All characters are the Abridged versions, but if you've watched the regular show it should be easy to follow. 

In one of the last episodes they have up, Seto is riding on a motorcycle, chasing a possessed Tristan who has kidnapped Mokuba.  Now, this all happens inside a virtual world, in an Anime, so the flip Seto does to get off his motorcycle when it is blown out from under him probably only rates in at unlikely instead of physically impossible.  Still, when he lands, he says 'It's a good thing I'm Seto Kaiba or that might have hurt.'

Now, this is a rather typical comment from him.  A self admitted egomaniac, Seto has no end of self confidence.  His purpose in the real show is to serve as both a more negative view of the confidence that Yami has, and as a way to impress upon the audience how tough the bad guy is.  "Oh wow, he beat Seto, he must be tough," so that confidence and ego is well earned.  Yet still, he exists to be set up and crushed repeatedly all to make Yami and Yugi look better.  It's that resilience his ego has that I feel has made him a fairly well liked character in spite of the fact that he tends to be a giant asshole.

Now, I'm not holding him up as an example of a good person, or even a person I'd like to be.  I have the ego, and while I might not be a teenage billionaire who's almost unbeatable at a children's card game, I feel I've earned it.  It's the resilience, the ability to almost instantly bounce back from his setbacks and problems that got my attention.  The fact that instead of beating himself up because someone managed to destroy the motorcycle he was using to try and chase down his brother's kidnapper he just popped back up smirking because he was still alive where lesser men would have fallen. Now, granted, this guy rescues his brother so often he ought to have a club card for it, but still.  That's what I want in my life, the ability to not ignore the problems I might have, but the ability to perceive them as the minor obstacles that they are.  I have a bad habit of ignoring things I don't want to deal with, and that's what I need to work on if I want that Seto attitude.

So, plans:

1) Clothes:  Work on this.  We've done some great work lately cleaning the house and making things nicer.  There's still work to do, but we've gotten things to the point where I feel like we can have nice things again.  I need some new clothes, nothing major, but something that makes me feel good about myself. Right now my non work clothes are mostly t-shirts and raggedy jeans, which while comfy aren't exactly the most ego boosting.  I have two killer jackets, I need stuff to wear under them!

2) Exercising:  I need to start doing this.  I don't think I'll ever be the 'go to the gym every day' type, but I need to start making some sort of plan to do at least a little.  Even if it's just some sort of office chair exercising or power walking at the mall, something needs to be done about the old gut, because my metabolism just ain't what it used to be.

3) Eating better: Actually not doing horrible on this, compared to most Americans, but there's a lot of room for improvement, especially when  D's not around.  She's been making moves in that direction, and I need to both help her and do it for myself.  More chicken, a lot more fish, cut down on the heavy sauced pasta and what not.  I should find some vegetarian recipes that look like I'd like them and make one night a week a veggy night.

4) To do lists:  That's right, I'm putting making to do lists on my to do list.  I have lots of ideas for things I want to do and then never do them because when I have time I can't think of them.  Need to get a small notebook to toss in my jacket pocket until such time as I break down and get a smart phone.

5) Work on evil laugh.  Because that's about standards!

Okay, throwing this up and getting back to the stuff I should be doing.  The promised link to the Abridged Series is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment